Hello Samrah

I am really new to lacemaking, just started in December, and just got on this list. I do a goodly bit of sewing, and lots of embroidery~Palestinian in particular. My lace teacher is about 5 hours away so I don't see her nearly often enough. I guess I am a bit odd as I tend to actually like laces done with the heavy threads a bit better. Although I can work with the smaller threads, when it comes time to actually using the lace in blouses, etc., I like the effects of the larger threads. Sooo, I have been blowing the patterns for the 80 thread up about 20%. (In case this makes a difference, except in size of the finished product, or I have created a horrible social fopah!)

So long as you increase the thickness of your thread in proportion to the increase in size of teh pattern that's perfectly OK. You don't say what type of lace you are making, but torchon looks good at any scale - perle 5 on a 5mm grid (10mm betweeen footedge pins) and even bigger if you want. IMO Point ground (Bucks) and Flemish/Valenciennes don't look so good enlarged like that but if you like the effect that's fine.

I suppose you get requests for this all the time, but can you recommend your favorite beginning lacemaking books? I guess particularly Torchon at this point since that seems to be the best place to start.

Jennifer Fisher's Torchon Lace for Today
Rosemary Shepherd's Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking
Bridget Cook's Torchon Lace Workbook

There's a longer list on my website at:
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/lace/bibliography.html
If you click the links to lace gallery you will see that some of my work is on a big scale, and with lots of colour.

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/