My favorite teneriffe loom(s) is(are) plastic canvas shapes.  I use them
all the time for teaching the technique for Stitching Festival Shows
(formerly called Creative Arts & Textiles Show--CATS).  You can get them
in various sizes, shapes, and different manufacturers have different
numbers of spokes for more variety.  I mainly use circles.  All you do is
snip the horizontal plastic mesh between the radial spokes and then just
slip the warping thread around the radial spoke. YOu don't have to put the
thread on a needle to warp the loom.  The horizontal plastic around
the spokes keeps the thread from getting caught on the spokes with each
movement.  I did a simple heart motif class for an EGA group...it was a
quick project and they learned all the basics of Teneriffe Lace and had a
finished product to take home.  I particularly like the Darice Company's
plastic canvas.  I use the 3" and 4" circles alot.  They have spoke
numbers of 40, 48 and 60 that when doubled (2 threads per spoke) give me
80, 96 and 120 threads per design respectively.  These numbers allow me
alot of design possibilites...especially the 60/120 loom--I can do designs
with repeats in muliples of 3, 5, 6, 8...  Another place I buy plastic
canvas from another manufacturer is at WalMart.  You don't have to use
only the outside edge of the plastic canvas...you can cut the plastic
canvas down to the radius you want.  You can see one of my designs at
www.stitchingfestival.com   Look under my name in the teachers page and
then look up Teneriffe class.  I had to cut the plastic canvas to a
smaller size to get the outer motifs the right size to go around the
center motif.  (Figuring out the right size for the outer motifs was the
hardest part of the project!)  Use of the plastic canvas as a loom looks
'cheesy' but it really works up quick, easy and cheap!

Before I got onto using plastic canvas shapes, I used to make my own
looms.  I would draw out the number of spokes I wanted on a circle.
Photocopy the pattern onto cardstock and laminate it between clear contact
film.  Then I would prick where the spokes were on the outer edge and sew
a double outline stitch to the edge.  To lay the warp thread, I would use
a needle on the thread and with the needle pass the thread under the
outline thread on one side of the spoke and then around and under the
thread on the other side of the spoke.  It was fraught with several
potential problems that I don't have with use of plastic canvas.  But is
was cheap and I can custom tailor the loom to whatever size, shape and
number of threads that I want.

Karen Bovard  (The ShuttleSmith)   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Omaha, NE

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to