On Mar 18, 2004, at 23:21, Lorri Ferguson wrote:

But, Tamara, I find tallies in wire seem to be easier. Once I have set the
edge it doesn't change.

*Too* true... <g>

My own countless (leaf) tallies notwithstanding (I used to love Russian Tape above all techniques, and still "marry" it, sometimes, to Milanese. Just to be ornery; most people "marry" Milanese to Duchesse), they're still not *dependably* uniform or pleasing, not even in thread, where a "pine cone" can be "re-touched" if necessary...

In wire??? Dante (Alighieri) must have had wire leaf-tallies in mind, when he wrote: "abandon all hope, ye who enter here..." :)

I have developed a rhythm of tensioning leaf-tallies which works for me. *In thread*. Everything I *thought* I knew had to be abandoned, entirely, for wire. That "our" (two; each worth at least 2lbs of weight loss due to anxiety <g>) tallies were supposed to be s-shaped was just icing on the Inferno-made-torte <g>...

*One day*, when I'm "good and ready", I *may* try making leaf-tallies in wire again (but I'll make certain-sure to practice them *off* a project first)... Possibly, it'll happen the very same day Dante's Hell turns into a skating rink :)

In the meantime, I'll use "every trick in a book" to by-pass them; a leaf-tally (or a square tally, or any other tally for that matter, including the raised, the raised-and-rolled, the quarter moon-shaped, etc) is, afterall, just two pairs travelling in one direction. It won't (can't) even come back to the point of origin, without either another tally or a plait. So, it can -- easily -- be substituted by any other mode of travel that two pairs are capable of... And I'm gonna make *danged sure* to use the "alternate routes" for as long as I need to, to get my courage up; I know *all* about the "alternate routes" 2 pairs can take (vide the 2-Pair Inventions -- all in *thread*; Paula Harten is doing a wire upgrade on them, and I hope she'll share with everyone soon, as they're better than in thread -- on the website; URL in the signature)... :)

Wildgun004smate (Lynn, in WV) wrote:

OK Tamara you are making me nervous. I am new to this lace making stuff :)
What in the world is a tallie. Another stupid question.

*No* question is stupid; it's people who don't ask questions who're silly (and remain happy in their ignorance; to each his/her own <g>) Ruth has already given you the definition, the basic principle of working a tally, and has warned you of the possible pitfalls (in *thread* <g>). For visual examples of various tallies...

I can't quote URLs -- my browser seems to be having a bad-hair-day, and keeps coming up with all sorts of excuses *not* to show me what I want to see (including my own website, which has leaf-tallies up the kazoo in the 2-Pair Inventions section). But Lorelei Halley's website and Lori-the-lace-fairy's one are likely to have examples of *all* tally shapes known to lacemaking humankind... If Lori and Lorelei would -- kindly -- provide the URLs, you ought to bookmark them, and refer to the visuals as often as possible. Sooner or later, you'll find that, my crabby comments notwithstanding, there's *nothing* as pretty/useful as a tally in the right place :)

PS. The leaf-shaped ones are also called "Cluny leaves"; in Honiton, they're called "wheat"-something; can't remember what. And "leadwork" is also one of the names used, at least in the English laces... Good luck "hunting" them up.

-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland