Hello Lee

If this company are asking for hand made Raschel lace they are asking for the impossible! Raschel is WARP KNITTING which is very different from hand knitting or domestic machine knitting, both of which are weft knitting.

Weft knitting takes one yarn/thread backwards and forwards (or round and round) through lots of loops. The hand and machine versions are very similar in appearance, though some of the more advanced hand techniques are difficult to reproduce by machine and machine weave knitting is very difficult to do by hand.

Warp knitting requires lots of threads each of which lops through itself several times and then swaps places with the one next to it. Virtually impossible to do by hand. Just imagine lots of crocheted chains (US single crochet?) lying parallel to each other then pull the thread from chain A through the loop of chain B and vice versa. The simplest pieces of warp knitting are the string bags which are sometimes used to 'wrap' vegetables for the supermarket. Raschel machines take the techniques a LOT further and include extra threads woven in with the pillars of 'crochet chains'.

If you have examples of machine lace to look at the way to identify Raschel/warp knitting is to look at the back. If it has what looks like parallel lines of chain stitch on the back then it's warp knitted - but don't confuse that with the twisted lines of threads in some Leavers type lace. Usually warp knitted lace is from the lower end of the market.

Brenda