Hello all,
The word passementerie in French possibly comes from the original: "pasamanerķa" that in Spanish refers to ribbons and trims prior to laces as we know today.
The meaning of the word literally expresses "to pass something between hands", so in this case the ribbons and trims made only with hands.

Here in Spain were made from time immemorial. It is known that an edict of the King Alfonso IX, in 1212 ordered to put aside superfluities of gold and silver ornaments. But it is sure that the influence that Spain received from oriental cultures before this date , have contributed to development of this craft.
In "the splendid library" that Tess and the Professor have provided us, you will find more information at this respect, as well as other "laces" that were made in Spain in very old times:
"Lace, Puntas and Passementerie" by Bernhard and Ellen M. Whishaw.
and...of course much better explained than I could do in English.

Best regards.

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.
--

Carolina de la Guardia http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/ http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego/encajebrujo.html