Ilske and Ann-Marie posted about e-mails with attachments and undeliverable messages they never sent. This is, of course, caused by a virus, which they can do nothing about (other than trashing the attachments without opening them). There has been a rash of them recently.

What apparently happens is that someone on the list foolishly opens a virus attachment which, if she is on Windows (they don't work on Macs), grabs her list of mail addresses (perhaps it even gets the addresses of people that have posted to the list - I haven't checked the details). Anyway, the net results are twofold:

(i) E-mails with virus attachments are sent to your address if your 'lace-friend' has it in her address book.
(ii) E-mails with virus attachments are sent to other addresses, purporting to come from you. If these are detected as having a virus you gett an 'undeliverable mail' message from the intended recipient's mail host, about a message you know nothing about.

Most of the ones we get are to Jean, but I get some Italian ones, which I suspect result from a correspondence I once had about databases with an Italian lacemaker.

Whether these messages will go on for ever, I do not know, but I don't think there is anything you can do about them (especially the undeliverables) other than getting a spam/virus filter (and I don't know whether that will filter the 'undeliverable mail' messages).

David

PS Most of the virus attachments have names like message.scr, password.exe, and things ending in .pif, but some have lace-related names. They are all the same size and the same thing.
--
Jean Leader
Glasgow, Scotland, UK