On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:47:29 -0700, Weronika wrote:
>Another question - if I put linen lace on a T-shirt or other clothing,
>can I machine-wash it after that, at least if I use heavy thread?

If possible it is better to match the thread content of the thread to the
fabric, so that they shrink at similar rates.  On a cotton T shirt use
cotton thread rather than linen.  Cotton lace is softer and more draping
than linen so more suited to a motif on the front of a T shirt; linen is
better for edgings where holding its own shape is a virtue.  

I have a cotton thread motif on a T shirt which I have chucked in the
machine coloured washing for 4 years now.  I use normal detergent for
colours, no bleach, and dry the T shirt on a line or a hanger, not in the
dryer.  I've never bothered turning it inside out.  The lace is going to
outlast the T shirt fabric.  I will snip the tacking stitches holding it on
and transfer it to a new shirt when the fabric goes.

If you are making lace for a garment, then wash the garment and the finished
lace (separately) before sewing them together.   I did read someone advising
to wash the thread before making the lace, but quite apart from the
difficulty of doing that I don't see how it is any better than washing the
finished lace.   Lace does shrink quite a bit when it is washed, so allow
for this when making it.
--
Serendipity is looking in a haystack for a needle and discovering 
the Farmer's Daughter.
Julius H. Comroe.
Steph Peters  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to