In a message dated 10/05/2004 15:43:06 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I believe you could very well try Honiton with the equipment you describe
> and get a good feel for it.  Un-spangled Midlands bobbins (especially if one
>
> of the smaller types) are not that different than Honiton bobbins.  And a
> domed 16" pillow would work also, especially if you choose to enlarge the
> pricking at all.
> I really believe it is how one exquisites the the stitches and not the
> equipment that makes the lace.
>
> Lorri F
> Graham, in the foot hills of MT. Rainier

My first foray into honiton was with a free lace piece which really was
honiton in disguise.

I really wanted to start it with all the right equipment (sorry that's just
the obsessive in me!) but as I got the pattern about 3 days before Xmas there
was no way that I was going to get a pillow and bobbins in time for the holiday
period.

I started it off with my favourite east midlands bobbins (spangled) on a high
domed 18" polystrene pillow from SMP but as soon as I had to start sewings I
realised that these are not that easy with spangles when you have to do them
all the time so I swapped them onto my bruges bobbins which worked fine.

The celtic dragon that I made is not the greatest thing I've ever done, but
then I'd only been making lace for about 6 months and the other pieces of lace,
such my torchon were about the same level.

Anyway, I was hooked and started buying every book I could find on honiton
and reading it to get a feel for the lace.

Then being totally obsessive I had to go and buy the equipment, but then
that's just me.  What I did discover is that I am allergic to straw pillows - I
found this out when teaching.  Everytime one of my students came along I would
get a runny nose and sore eyes - I realised that I was allergic to her pillow!
So it's polystrene or nothing for me.  Also I found that the weight of the
pillow, when I wanted to sit with the pillow on my lap was better with this type
of pillow - I don't often make lace at a table, except when at lace days - I
make lace in bed (but watch out for those dropped pins).

I was given one piece of advice - get a cushion cover - just an ordinary one
about 16" or 18" square and fill it with polystrene beads like you get in a
bean bag.  Not too full.  Then put that on your lap and wedge the honiton pillow
into the cushion cover - it then sits beautifully in the nest!!

As to bobbins, the one thing that I found is that I prefer bobbins of a
similar size for honiton as they move easy for me but that is just personal
preference.

Anyway, just my thoughts

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm blogging now - see what it's all about