Alice wrote:

The list is real quiet right now, so here is a question.  Last year I 
bought an interesting pillow that was labled 'Italian'.    It has a 4" 
diameter roller, 6 " long that sits on supports so the top is about 8" 
above the table.  In front of the roller is a small, 4" x 8" padded 
surface.  This pillow reminds me of pictures of the pillow used in Puerto Rico.

Question -- If this pillow is really Italian, what kind of lace would be 
made on it?

Not Milanese, not Idrian, not Cantu.  Anyone have an idea?

=========================================================

In wild speculation:

Some Spanish lacers use this pillow, I can't remember where I saw this.  Puerto Rico 
was a Spanish colony and probably inherited the pillow style from the Spanish source.

Italion dominion has fluctuated a great deal over the centuries, so what is and is not 
Italy was not always the same.  In the mountainous region of the North, some regions 
that were Italian are now French.  

It could also have been a lacer from the Spanish tradition that brought their 
equipment with them.

Lacemakers being clever sorts, could have independently invented the same thing in 
parallel.  Tamara and I have re-invented all manner of things.

And provenance of lacemaking tools is notoriously full of wrong information.  Witness 
eBay and it's whimsical identification of tools and lace types.

It's a puzzle.

Patty

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to