Hi All,  Alice wrote about the place in California, USA that
sells the tapes.  Here's the URL:

http://www.lacemaking.com/Ltapes.htm 
They have very good discounts for bulk orders.  They carry
all the tapes that Tom in Belgium's company makes.  I don't
think they have Branscombe Point tapes but they do have
Princess lace tapes that are finer than the Battenberg/
Brussels tapes (they also have some they call Venice tapes).
Actually I think it's Tom's cousin who runs the manufactory
that makes the tapes.  They've been making them for
150 years.  The tapes for Luxeuil are the same ones I use
for B'berg.  The gathering thread on the tape was introduced
around 1904.    

The Battenberg tapes are heavier than the Branscombe
tapes but not too much.  Some of you might be thinking of 
the Japanese or Chinese tapes which are coarser and 
solid with no open space down the middle. Around 1900 
they used much heavier tapes for B'berg but they've gotten 
finer over the years.  Now, in the US, Battenberg is the 
generic term for tape lace.  Other than the tape there are 
no rules any more.  The fillings can be as simple or ornate 
as the lace maker chooses.  There were plenty of rules 
around 1900.  I think it was 7 times around the needle for
the picot on the Raleigh Bars at first!  

Lillie Trivett covers Branscombe very well!  Luxeuil also 
has a more solid look to it than older B'berg.  I haven't 
gotten help in translating the wonderful book on it yet
so I'm not sure of the distinctions.  The book "Le Luxeuil" 
ISBN 2-84167-151-8 has lots of wonderful patterns for
any of you who are interested!  Besides the regular tapes
they also use machine made lace with a gathering thread 
on one side - very pretty!
   
I just can't be short-winded on this subject <G>. 
Jane in Vermont, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
   

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to