After "meeting" Rosemary Shepherd when I phoned her daughter's house to order
Fantasy Flowers, and learning I am subscribed to arachne, she has e-mailed to
ask me to forward the following post to arachne to clarify the position
regarding her new book.   I have ageed to because I feel it's fair we should
hear
from her about her new book.

'After a year of family tragedy and the hard work involved in producing a
book I was finally able to relax here in the UK and look forward to the birth
of
my first grandchild, and to catch up with lacemaking friends.  Then a kind and
concerned friend sent me the postings to Arachne about my alleged plagiarism
or 'adaptation' of Jana Novak's work in my new 'Bobbin Lace Fantasy Flowers'
book.

My first impulse was to ignore it, but so many Arachneans came to my defence
- thank you all so much - that I thought I should set the record straight.  In
case those who do not know me think 'there is no smoke without fire' let me
state firmly that I have never in my life copied or adapted anyone else's work
and passed it off  as my own.  Would anyone seriously think that a lacemaker
with more than 30 years experience, who was a founder of the Australian Lace
Guild,  curator of lace for 20 years at one of the world's largest museums,
and
decorated by her country for 'service to the arts, particularly lacemaking',
would risk her reputation by doing such a thing?

The ironical thing is I can't answer specific allegations because there are
three heartflowers in the book and several with five petals, but not one
called
'five petals' so I must assume that Karolina was perhaps looking at my web
site and not at the book itself.  I am also away from my copy of 'Fri
Knipling',
but to be perfectly honest I can't remember any 3D flowers in it, because I
haven't looked at the book for so long.

I CAN say that the dates on the notes Karolina has from my workshops do not
reflect when the designs they contain were created, but when they were finally
produced for teaching.  As any teacher knows a lot of time and effort goes
into ensuring that something 'works' before it is given to students.  It is,
also, a matter of record that I made my first one-piece 3D flower in 1977, for
the
Crafts Council of New South Wales 'Function and Fantasy' Exhibition, which
toured Australia. In 1981 an image of the flower and other work accompanied an
article about me in Family Circle magazine. Many people will remember this
because it brought 400 new members to the Guild in the following months.

I have been an independent lacemaker since my first six lessons  with Nenia
Lovesey in 1970.  Even before these lessons were over I was designing my own
lace, and in the years since have probably worked less than half a dozen
pieces
that I didn't design from scratch.
I began to play with colour at about the time I started teaching in 1976, and
also experimented with other materials such as copper wire, raffia and nylon
monofilament.  Two pieces of my lace from this period were bought by the
Powerhouse Museum in 1980.
I worked many more totally free-form flowers after the 1977 daisy - working
over a sketch and placing the pinholes as I went. In the very early 80s I
discovered the wonderful work of the Czech, Slovak, and Moravian lacemakers,
and
Elena Holecyova became my particular hero.  She profoundly influenced the way
worked subsequent flowers (and other lace), but the flower designs were
inspired by lace and woven textiles of the'bizarre period'.  Eight of the
'Fantasy
Flowers' were originally designed and made in the period 1980 to 1990, with
minor changes evolving later. The rest of the book's flowers were produced
2001-3
for workshops in the US in 2003, and in some cases are extensions of much
earlier design ideas.

I think I first saw Jana's work in the mid-80s but did not own any of her
books until about 1989-90 when the Australian Lace Guild first thought about
inviting her to teach. Jana accepted the invitation for 1992 and I first met
her
when she gave workshops and a lecture at the Powerhouse during her trip.
Later
in 1992 we were both guests of the NZ lacemakers in Christchurch for '2201
pins - a Lace Odyssey', where my flowers and other work were part of the
exhibition.

I am happy to say Jana has become a friend. I love her creative work and
greatly respect her historical knowledge. In a few weeks we will be meeting
with
other lace friends for lace study in Denmark.  Neither of us has any need to
plagiarise other people's work. I am sure we both have many more ideas than we
can possibly hope to deal with in one life time.
This is the very best time in my life. Having retired from the Museum I am at
last free to make lace full-time and to publish the best of the work I have
designed over the years, as well as some of my re-constructions of early lace
-
another of my passions.

I sincerely hope that any lacemaker who thinks anything in a future
publication is 'adapted' he/she will pay me the courtesy of speaking to me
about it
first, in private.
Rosemary