I've now been to the Herbert twice, on Sunday last weekend and today.  On
Sunday I spent a little time talking to the staff as one my pieces of work
was upside down. It was rectified while I was there, but the resulting chat
was interesting.  Apparently it had taken a great deal of effort to decide
which pieces to leave out.

Whilst I can understand and sympathise with the disappointment of those
whose entries were not included, the rules of entry state "It is intended
that all entries will be exhibited.  However, The Lace Guild reserves the
right not to display an item at the discretion of the exhibition director."
Entry does not guarantee display.  A folder of photos of entries not on
display is present.

The display cases are positioned so as much lace could be displayed in the
cases as possible.  Lace is displayed and seen from the sides as well as the
front.  There is however a limit to what can be displayed in a given space.
Too many, and the effect of the individual pieces is lost.

Having had a good look around, I suspect that at least part of the decision
on what was displayed was aesthetic, and to show a range of laces from the
traditional to modern, and with different design influences.  There is
something to appeal to everyone.  Some of the display cases have items with
a definate theme.  The cases are as full as they could be, and the walls are
well used.  Also, the fact that items which made it into the catalogue are
not on display, is an indication of the difficult decision as to which items
had to be left out.

The display as a whole has to be pleasing to everyone, and with limited
space compromises have to be made.

Infact there is so much present, that in the three hours I was there on
Sunday, I was sure I'd not seen everything.  On my visit today, I realised I
had totally missed the large stunning piece entered by the Ring of Tatters!
That I did not expect.

Anyone visiting may also like to visit the main museum downstairs, where
there is an outfit including old lace.  There is also a history of ribbon
weaving in the city, including samples of stunning decorative silk ribbons.

Karen
in Coventry
who has yet to see the results of her photography from the afternoon.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to