Hi all -
I found this amongst my "stuff".  I left all the extras in the message so you 
can see where I got it and where it came from.
Jane Nelson
Lincoln, NE  USA

Subj:
[lace] Fwd: Re: baby bonnets--help!
Date:
Tuesday
April 9
2002 7:02:57 AM
From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>X-Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2
>Date: Tue
04 Feb 1997 21:55:47 -0800
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Joan Posener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: baby bonnets--help!
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Reply-To: Joan Posener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: Joan Posener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>At 17:31 04/02/97 -0600
Karen Bovard wrote to Thara Baker-Alley:
> >I should have the posting saved at home on my computer. It makes a lovely
> >gift and is not quite as time-consuming to make as a fully-tatted bonnet
> >if time is not on your side!
> >
> >I'll check the list tomorrow and see if anyone else has found the pattern
> >and poem.
>
>Hi Karen et al
>As often is the case lately
I just happen to have both poems and
>instructions for making the bonnet <big surprise
huh>  Here they are for
>those who weren't around when these were shared.
>Hugs
>Joan
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>
>1.      The Magic Hanky
>
>I'm just a little hanky
>   As square as square can be;
>But with a stitch or two
>   They made a bonnet out of me.
>I'll be worn from the hospital
>   Or on the Christening Day;
>Then I'll be carefully pressed
>   And neatly packed away.
>
>For her Wedding Day
>   So we've been told
>Every well-dressed bride must have
>   That something old.
>So what could be more fitting
>   Then to find little me?
>A few stiches snipped
>   And a wedding hanky I'll be.
>
>And if per chance it is a BOY
>   Some day he'll surely wed;
>So to his bride
>   He can present--the hanky
>Once worn upon his head.
>
>
>All you do is make a square hanky and fold in half.  At the fold half you
>make a running stitch wide enough for a 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon to tie it.  then
>up at the front corners I make a bow out the top of a piece of ribbon and
>tack it on leaving enough hang to make a tie.  Does that make sense?  Then
>you have a bonnet.
>
>TTYL Debbie
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>OKC
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>2.      Another version
>
>This bonnet at first seems small in your hands.
>A treasure of lace and ribbon bands.
>But this gift is more then linen and charms.
>For the sweet babe that rests in Mother's arms.
> >From boxes long sealed she will search for the hat.
>Snip off the ribbons then after that.
>Hand over this handkerchief with a smile.
>To her daughter in while who walks down the aisle.
>Or maybe her son
a young handsome groom.
>She will hand him a gift
a family heirloom.
>He will give it to the one who lives in his heart.
>To have and to hold till death them do part.
>
>I have had several requests for this. I realize this isn't strictly lacy. No
>patterns involved. But I hope all will bear with it and hit the delete
>button if there aren't any babies in your future<G>
>
>Making the hat. You need a 12" handkerchief. Now you could cheat and buy one
>with machine lace on it. Only I KNOW that no one on this list would do that.
>I got lucky and purchased three lovely handkerchiefs in a second hand store.
>They have beautiful drawn thread work and really nice rolled edges. I
>haven't been real happy about the quality of the rolled edges on "new"
>handkerchiefs.
>Work the edging of your choice around the hanky. That was the hard part. I
>tatted a very delicate single thread edge around mine
because the hanky was
>so fine. I sewed the lace on after I finished tatting it
gathering it
>slightly in the corners. Ok you now have a hanky with a nice lace edge on
>it. The rest it a breeze.
>
>Fold back one edge of the hanky a third.If you are making the hat for an
>older baby you can make the folds less. Its your call.)
>Sew a running stitch up about an inch from the fold
creating a casing.
>Pull a ribbon through the casing. Tie the ribbon into a bow
gathering the
>hat in. This is the back of the hat.
>Front of the hat. Fold the front of the hat back a third
or whatever you
>need to fit your baby. Sew a running stitch just under the lace. Turn back
>each end and tack down. Add ribbon roses
bows or whatever you like. Tack
>down ribbons for ties. The hat is done.
>
>I got this of one of the Usenet groups a long time ago. There was no credit
>to the author.
>
>                  ------------------------|    casing
>                 | -----------------------|
>                 |                        |
>                 |------------------------|
>                 |                        |
>                 |                        |
>                 |                        |
>                 |\----------------------/|
>                 |   \                 /  |       fold back corners
>                 |     \            /     |
>                  --------------------------
>
>This is about the limit of my computer art
but I am sure you get the idea.
>Suzann
>. * I'm not sloppy
I'm domestically challenged
Dearl
Christiansburg
Virginia
USA
My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cablenet-va.com/~dearlk/
http://photos.yahoo.com/ladearl

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to