From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Elizabeth Ligeti
Sent: 08 July 2004 07:42
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [lace] Re: Lacemaking family

My Great Grandmother was the last member of the family to earn her
living
making lace. I come from a long line of lacemakers in the Bedford area,
and
am SO glad the bug has bitten my DD, - Helen in Denver-, and also my
little
Granddaughter.
Gt. Gt. Grandfather was almost expelled from the family, as he send his
daughter  (my GG) to school to learn to read and write!!!!!!!  - The
family
thought he was wasting his hard earned money having a girl go to school
(other than a Lace school)  I have a well worn bobbin with her name on
it
and 1864 I think. The last 2 digits are almost worn away.  I presume it
was
when she started making lace, - about 5 or 6 years old, as  Grandma was
born
in 1879, and Gt Gran was not 15 but much older than that, - 20 or 21
seems
more like it.
However, she was 94 when she died, and her daughter (my Gran) was 97.
Her
daughter (My Aunt) is 98 and still going strong,  so Lacemaking must be
good
for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!   (I will need to reach well past that age to
complete
all the UFOs I have accumulated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)) )

from Liz in Melbourne, Oz,