Lorelei wrote:

<If you live in England and will be learning bobbin lace there, it might be
best to follow English practice, since that is what teachers and other
lacemakers there will be doing.  English lacemakers work palms down, usually
on a Honiton pillow or a cookie shaped pillow.  As far as I can tell, ALL
English lacemakers do half stitch CT, with cloth stitch CTC (although they
may call this "whole stitch"), and "whole stitch with a twist" would be
CTCT.>

Not so. Many lace teachers are now teaching half stitch TC and not CT. The
teacher in the class I attend, teaches new lacemakers the TC method so that
all threads hang vertical. I, and others in the class, were taught CT so we
carry on doing that. Some can work either method. Again, in my class,
students move bobbins in any way that they find comfortable and natural. The
teacher watches each person to see if she can suggest something more
natural, bearing in mind that the ladies joining the class for the first
time are usually over 60.

Jean in Poole