Hi Clay and All,
This bobbin is very similar in shape to one of the bobbins recovered from the 'Batavia' ship wreck off Australia. It was a Dutch ship wrecked off the west coast of Australia in 1629, so the bobbins were older than that. They were featured on an Australian stamp some years ago and Kleinhout make reproductions of them. It would be interesting to see if there is a Dutch connection to this bobbin.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.