Hi Liz and All,

In answer to your question, I use a numerical system.  It's not perfect,
but I think it's better than simply "I like this one best" (and it
seemed to impress a member of the audience this year, too).

I have 9 categories that I score by - giving each a score out of 10.
They're for things like overall impression, working techniques,
mounting, etc.  I work on the principle that each piece before me is
perfect, and then I work down from there.

 Even though all of the entries in the class are laid out before me, I
take 1 article at a time, and judge it completely, and move on to the
next.  I try very hard not to compare, but it can happen by the end of 4
hours of judging.  Places are awarded based on highest score to lowest,
and if some in a class are mounted, and some are not, I tend to through
out the mounting score, but will use it for consideration for
tie-breakers and higher awards.

I have a jewelers loup to examine work closely with.

I also like to write comments on the entrant tickets - and always temper
a comment with a positive remark.  I want to encourage people not
discourage them.

My biggest gripes are grubby lace - which is most obvious on
pale/white/ecru threads, and shouldn't happen when submitted to a
Fair/contest, animal hairs caught in the work and fuzzy ends of knots.
I don't judge a lace any lower if it is not mounted on a card/backing,
but if it is, I like to be able to see the reverse side to see the
finishing, so it should be attached in just one corner.  This is one
rule of the Royal Melbourne Show that I like.  They require work to be
attached to backing in the top R (or L -can't remember which) corner
only.  It's uniform through out the lace classes.

Hope this helps - this is just how I do it.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Denver.