Greetings All,

I'm behind on digests, so I'm hoping I'm not saying what's already been said, if so, please forgive.

Because cross stitch fabric is loosely woven, it's a very unstable fabric. Cross stitches stabilize the fabric, but I wouldn't trust cross stitch fabric to not distort in the wash. Most cross stitch pieces are mounted and not laundered.

As a weaver, I know what happens to any loosely woven fabric. The fibers will shift around madly, causing the fabric to become distorted. If it's very loose, holes may even occurr. Unlike, wool which fulls when wet (fulling is the process of the fibers filling up the empty spaces) linen just stays loose. So, you might want to use yardage or recycled linen that's tightly woven.

However, if you're going to attach the lace, and then mount it, cross stitch linen would be the perfect choice.

Hope that's of some help,
Mary