Diane

Does the thread have a tight Z twist?  (Au ver au soie is Z spun)
If so that is probably the cause of your problem.

Ipswich lace, as part of the point ground family has a lot of half stitch plus extra twists (right-over-left = Z) than crosses (left-over-right = S) which means that all the Z twisting of the pairs is adding to the Z spinning of the thread making it unbalanced. Most linen threads, and some cottons are S spun so the Z spinning of teh pairs 'neutralises' the S spinning of the thread

Try working a length of half stitch "bandage" with this silk thread and another half stitch "bandage" with a similar thickness of S spun thread. Chances are, the silk bandage will curl up but the other one won't.

Brenda