Weronika
If you have concerns about copyright and are thinking about putting
adaptations up on a website, you really SHOULD go to the U.S. Copyright
office website and review it very carefully.  They will give you a fair
amount of guidance.  http://www.copyright.gov/  I'm not a lawyer but I can
read instructions and for someone who is doing adaptations it is really
essential that you understand the ground rules.  And rather than get the
rules from hearsay or somebody's opinion, you really should get it from the
horse's mouth.

Many years ago I designed some corners for patterns in the DMC Encyclopedia
of Needlework and a Cluny pattern from the lace school at Le Puy.  I have
never published or sold those patterns because, even though the corner was
entirely my own idea and a substantial addition to the original, I still
didn't think I should.

If you are clever enough to make substantial additions to a pre-existing
pattern or adapt it to a different purpose, you sound like an incipient
designer-in-the-making.  You probably have it in you to design original
patterns on your own.  Perhaps it is time to begin.  Count the adaptations
as a step on the learning curve.
Lorelei