Me, I thought of "mongrel lace", but Lorelei beat me to it :)

On Sep 4, 2004, at 19:58, Janice Blair wrote:

Tamara wrote:
Buy "Tina the Little Lacemaker" (the Rocky Mountain LG edition),
I did!! - buy Tina that is, but before I had a chance to read past the first Forward my house guest, Yvonne Scheele-Kirkhof, bought it from me

Well, at least you know it's gone to a good home <g>

I am waiting for a joint order from the two lace guild I am a member of to be sent in. Last time I heard the number to be ordered was up to 11, not counting the other 4 bought at convention. I think the RML are on to a winner with Tina.

Yes, I think so too. Which made me wonder about the notice we had earlier, that it's a "limited edition" How limited? Is there likely to be a reprint?


Which, in turn, brings me to my own effort - the Two-Pair Inventions... I know we're not supposed to peddle on Arachne, and I've tried to be as unobtrusive about it as possible, but I'm now at a "sticky point", and need advice.

The first run was 100 copies, to get as much of a base-price break as possible, without going into debt over it (the "penny-per-page-less" kicks in at 10, 50, 100, 200 copies).

I am now in possession of *19 copies* of the booklet left from that run, and that means I don't even have a copy of my own. Individual orders from within US are slowing down, and the orders from abroad have always been negligible, because of shipping costs, bank rates, etc. Even PayPal (which I'd set up specificaly for this enterprise) is now charging about 5% (between "per transaction" charges and the "currency conversion" charges), and that's *on top* of the price of the booklet and the shipping.

I am expecting an order for 10 copies from Alaska (multiple copies, shipped at book-rate, cut down *considerably* on the per copy cost), and another, for 15, fom Oz. And, although the individual orders within US have slowed down, they have not dried out entirely. So, clearly, I will need to do a reprint, since I'm at least 6 copies short...

The question is: a reprint of *how many copies*? Even if I do another 100 copies, it won't be the same price any more - our sales tax has gone up .5 percent as of Sept 1 (as if I needed reminding the date WWII - and all the miseries attendant on it - started <g>). Half percent isn't much, but it adds up 3 cents per booklet; I would, probably, raise the price by 5 cents (that's assuming that the printing and binding prices are the same as they had been in June; I haven't checked yet). And, if I order a run of another 100, I may never get rid of them this side of the grave, which would mean that not only would I not recover my own costs, but The Lace Museum would never see a red cent of it, either, since they get their "cut" only after I'm clear of debt.

OTOH, if I get only 50 copies done, it's going to raise the price-per-booklet (assuming old printing/binding costs, but new taxes) by about 90 cents. Or else, reduce the profit to the Museum by the same amount, which I refuse to do; they only get as much as the PO as it is :)

So, I'm in a bind, and would like to hear from people who are thinking of getting a copy, to get an idea of how much interest there still is. Perhaps, I started distributing at a wrong time of year, with people on vacation, and unaware of the booklet being available (it certainly took me a long time to get my act together <g>).

Perhaps, a few cents, or even a dollar extra doesn't make much difference to you individually, but, to me, a difference of shelling out for 50 copies versus shelling out for a 100 is a *big* difference. So, I need to know - at least approximately - what the interest is, so as to guide me in deciding what to do. And I'll need to make that decision sometime soon, I think.

Please, send your responses to me *privately* (we do not need to clutter the list any further with this issue). And, *please*, do not send me messages with the "I think you ought to do 100" content... :) Send me a message *only* if you're seriously interested in buying a copy; I can do that much math on my own, and decide what to do.

Oh, and... Jill (T) and Robin, I already have you as wanting a copy, so you don't need to reinforce that :)
---
Tamara P Duvall http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.


-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to