[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi Everyone
> I live in the UK and want to acquire a Honiton pillow.
> I'm a Honiton beginner, but since earlier this year I've been dabbling
> with a straw domed pillow &now want to go for the "real McCoy"
> Please could you advise on your experiences of using/buying the same. Is
> straw the best?
> None of the suppliers I've used regularly to buy from through mail order
> seem to stock them so I'd like to have some recommendations. Please use
> your discretion as to whether a reply would be of interest to the list
> as a whole and should be posted there, or whether it relates to the
> commercial transaction only &should therefore come to me off-list
> I am coming to Somerset (Yeovil area) on 23 October and could detour to
> collect. If any UK suppliers want to e-mail with details of prices etc -
> please do, but to me not the list!
> Many thanks
> viv

I have a polystrene honiton pillow by Rosemarie Robertson which I bought over
10 years ago and have loved ever since - the pillow is lightweight enough to
sit on my lap for hours yet heavy enough that it doesn't move about.
Rosemarie always covers her pillows in felt before putting on the cover and this stops
the surface from degrading.

I adore working on polystrene pillows for three main reasons; because the
weight is so much easier, they are kinder to your pins and they don't need to be
flea sprayed or microwaved to kill bugs but I know people who would never
consider working with anything but straw.  Personal preference.

The best advice for honiton I was given was by Dennis Hornsby who suggested I
got a cushion cover and loosely filled it with polystrene beads so that I
could put this on my lap then put the pillow on top of it thus giving the pillow
support and preventing it from rolling around.  Works wonders.

Regards

Liz in London

I'm back blogging my latest lace piece - have a look by clicking on the link
or going to http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee