At 08:46 AM 10/9/04 +0100, Linda Walton wrote:

>Probably since shortly after the time I started making lace, I have heard
>that early lacemakers used fishbones for pins.  But I can't imagine any of
>those little rib-type bones being strong enough to be pushed into a straw
>pillow, nor taking the strain of tensioned linen thread.  This puzzle has
>always irritated me.

The story started as an attempt to explain the name "bone lace".
Another name for bone lace was "stick lace".  If you read a lot
of very old[1] books, as I did when growing up,  the use of "bone"
for small stick-shaped objects doesn't seem to require any explanation.

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[1]  librarians had not yet developed the habit of trashing
everything that goes six months without being checked out
-- even when the *reason* it hasn't been checked out is that
it's a reference book and doesn't circulate!