I do not think they even made kits, horror or otherwise, when I started.  I
started with a magazine artlcie, a 'pillow' made of excelior** stuffed into a
sack and into which I inserted a round board...about 12" diameter.  For
thread, sewing..as were the pins. The bobbins.....sewing machine bobbins wound
as directed.  I quickly abandoned those in favor of pencil stubs with elastics
wrapped around the end.....and I made lace!!!
 The article mentioned Rachel Wareham and National Old Lacers...... A quick
inquiry and a wonderful answer and I was hooked.  Oh, so long ago!!!!
 Still doing it. BarbE



**excelior: also called 'wood wool' and it was used as packing for breakables
long before we had plastic peanuts!!!  Made a great pillow.  long since loaned
out and not returned!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Madelin Holtkamp
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:45 AM
  Subject: [lace] Re: lace-digest V2004 #353


  Dear Bev and the list--

  This was my experience exactly.  i made one rather nice little piece of
  Torchon, figured out that there were better tools out there and began
  searching the web, which led me to a whole new world of lace makers and
  their toys.  And, of course, this very helpful list.  I do agree that
  someone could do quite well with a better basic kit.  I use my old stuff as
  a pricking board and gimp bobbins.

  Regards--Madelin
  Ukiah, CA

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to