In a message dated 11/18/04 4:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:


> The history of linen thread was fascinating.
> 
> Another fact I found out when researching family history, was that
> Nottingham lace was bleached after it was made.  Presumably if the thread
> was bleached, it would be more likely to break on the lacemaking machines.
> If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it.  In my family line I have
> a family of dyers and bleachers living in Mansfield and Nottingham in the
> 19th century.
> 

This would be true.  Also, the machine oils and grit present in the weaving 
rooms would have made the lace very dirty.

In 2001, I purchased a book in Nottingham that I have previously reviewed on 
Arachne - one that Devon has used and subsequently obtained from the author 
for the Ratti Center's library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Ask your local library to get it for you to read.  If it is not on the 
shelves, inquire about the InterLibrary Loan program.  Another lacemaker in the 
U.K. 
uses this book loan service, so I know it is available to you.

The book:  "Nottingham Lace - 1760s-1950s - The Machine-made Lace Industry in 
Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire" by Sheila A. Mason, 1994, 
ISBN 0-9524500-0-3.

Sheila Mason is a major expert in the field of machine-made laces, and is 
custodian of  the Mason collection of machine-made lace, which includes a 
Battle 
of Britain panel and other rare items (which have been written about on 
Arachne).  Her family has been in the business of machine-made lace 
manufacturing 
for several generations.

Having been trained in textile conservation, I spend a lot of energy 
reminding people who collect laces NOT to use bleach on them.  It weakens the 
fibers.  
And if the thread or finished lace was bleached previously (in the 
manufacturing process), the chemical reactions of various bleaching formulas 
used today 
can cause the fibers to disintegrate or change to a yellowish color that can 
never be reversed.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to