This is the recipe for Cattern Cakes given by Hertfordshire Lacewings in
October 1991. (Have I really been making them every year for so long? VBG)
9 oz (275gm) self raising flour
4oz (100gm) melted butter
2oz (50gm) ground almonds
7oz (200gm)caster sugar
1oz (25gm) currents
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 medium egg, beaten
A liitle extra sugar, cinnamon and possibly, caraway seeds.

Method
Sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the currents, almonds,
caraway seeds and sugar. Add the melted butter and beaten egg, mixing well
to give a soft dough. Roll out, on a floured surface, into a rectangle, 12"
X 10" (30X25cm)

Brush the dough with water and sprinkle with the extra sugar and cinnamon.
Roll up, like a swiss roll, and cut into 3/4 " (2cm) slices. Place the
slices, spaced well apart, on a greased baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes at
400F (200C) or gas mark 6. Cool on a wire rack. If wanted, the slices may be
sprinkled with the extra caraway seeds.

Enjoy! I make these for my students every year as my birthday is also St
Catherine's day and it's how we celebrate!

Lynne.
 Lynne Cumming
 Baldock, North Herts, UK
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."