Thank you, Devon, for the Met Museum link. Its a wonderful piece and the photography is awesome.

http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/viewOne.asp?dep=20&viewmode=0&item=1987.277

A few years ago I saw a similar peice of Chinese "needlelace" at an antique dealer's in London. It was dated early 14th century, the colours were as fresh as the day it was made. The design was floral, more naturalistic than the Met piece, quite similar to later Chinese satin stitch embroideries. But the stitch was definitely detatched buttonhole.

The dealer showed me another example in a beautiful (very expensive) book on Chinese embroidery. Alas, I could afford neither the book nor the embroidery! I tried (with permission) to take photographs, but it was framed, behind glass and rather high up, so there was no chance of getting detail.

As others have said, this was the time of Marco Polo and the beginnings of trade between Europe and the Far East. Even though the (male) explorers may not have been particularly interested in embroidery, some pieces must have been brought back. The only puzzle is why it took the Venetians so long to realise the potential of detatched buttonhole stitch and to develop it into their own art form - the exquisite needlelace which took fashionable Europe by storm in the 16th century.

Bridget in Watford, England