Sherri:
Welcome to the 'Lacemaker's Lamp' !
It is always  exciting to see a new lacemaker step up to the pillow!    It is
such a joy and a love that  lasts a lifetime.
 I have some of the 140/2 linen that you got in the '70's and it will keep. I
know,  as I still have some. ;-)  One day you wil be SO glad that you have it.
 Looks like Patty has given you some great advice.

Happy lacing...even the very beginning is great fun
BarbE
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Patricia Dowden
  To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
  Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 4:50 PM
  Subject: [lace] Re: Sherri's question about thread for beginning lace


  I first got interested in bobbin lace many years ago - in the 1970s,
  when I was sill in my teens. In addition to buying some bobbins, I got
  some linen thread at that time too. I know that some of it is 140/2,
  which, I believe, is not made anymore. Am I right in thinking that I
  should save that thread for when I know what I'm doing? And, if so, what
  is a good thread to begin with? Cotton, I'm guessing, but what size?
  Sherri Butler

  Hi Sherri,

  You are very fortunate to have some 140/2 linen.  I can almost guarantee
that whichever beginner's book you have, it will not call for it!  I would
hold it in reserve for a yummy piece of Beds or Free Lace when you get there.

  Something around a 30/2 cotton or 40/2 linen (they have different size
scales) would be robust enough to let you get on with actually making lace
rather than learning how to deal with broken threads.  Actually, now that I
think about it, a thread that is 3 ply would be inherently stronger and less
liable to break.  You will break threads or run out eventually, but that can
wait for a little more experience.

  If you have a book, as you say, it will probably call for a particular
thread.  With Brenda's "Threads for Lace", you can find substitutes if
necessary.

  For the beginner, I recommend color thread; cotton 30/2 and linen 40/2 come
in lots of colors.  I worked my beginner pieces in Fince size 16 perle cotton.
It was wonderful and the colors are good enough to eat!

  How fun that you ordered a pillow!  Now you can relax for Christmas, because
you alreasy have what you want.

  A new lacemaker for a new year.

  Patty Dowden

  -
  To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
  unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to