Oh, one silly question that I should probably wait for a book to ask but ...
if you're making a lace edging, must it be fitted to the object it's intended
to embellish? Or can one cut lengths of handmade lace edging? I suspect not!
Sherri in GA

Sherri,
    You can do it either way.  If you have a purpose in mind, make the lace to
fit.
However, I keep 1 or 2 lace edgings on roller pillows all the time (usually
for lacing at demonstrations) and when I have enough for a 'new' project I cut
it off and use it.
    Keep us informed as to your progress
    And yes, I would say you need more bobbins (we can never have enough!!!).
I would say 4 dozen is a good place to start.  There are many lovely patterns
that use 23-24 pair.  And as you skill increases patterns need more pairs.

Lorri