On Dec 6, 2004, at 12:09, Lorelei Halley wrote:

I enlarged the original pattern to 200% of its actual size and worked it in DMC Retors
#30 with DMC Coton a Broder #16 as gimp. True Honiton lovers will be
aghast, but I just can't see fine Honiton thread, and trying to takes all
the fun out of lace making.

I have been given a piece of "macro-Honiton" (made, I think, in 50/2 cotton) by a friend, and love it. Love yours, too. Technically, they're both excellent. Optically, they're both definitely recognizable as Honiton, because of Honiton-specific "tricks". Both of you had fun in the process. Yours, being on a website (rather than under glass in my living room <g>) may also spark off an "aha!" from another lacemaker, and result in some innovations...

*What else* can one ask of a modern piece? It's the way to keep lacemaking alive and developing; rigidly hewing to "traditions" (never mind that the word itself is suspect), would only get us back to the shriveled up and dying state.

Congratulations for finishing it, after al this time... Me, if it's been on a pillow, untouched, for over a year, I take the scissors to it and snip :)
---
Tamara P Duvall http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)