I do not have the impulse to comment often. Must I must now.
Yes, Tamara, I agree with you on this. (but only this {VBG}) .
Years ago Gertrude Biedermann told to me to have fun with the lace and I do.
I play, this time of year it is ornaments for the many family Christmas trees.
I no sooner get caught up when there is a another branch added to the family
tree! Two newbranches this year.
My pillows are most all in use...I have a large one for edgings that sits on
the tippy top shelf...used sometimes. The others bounce around the room and
the closet all the time. Some hang, in their nifty carrying cases, some
stand in a corner. One , with WIP, is well covered *and* topped with a bath
towel, as that is the oldest cats (Miss Marple) favorite place to nap. So
storage is not a concern. Also, four cats keep the mouse population in
check!!!!!!
I do make wedding hankies (for the appreciative), that I hope will become
heirlooms and some gifties for special friends.
An occasional large piece satiates my desire to create an item of consequence
....usually relegated to the late winter months.
Time to pick cat hair out of this years ornaments..... ;-)
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and Druids Delight to all
BarbE
From: Tamara P. Duvall
To: lace Arachne
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 12:01 AM
Subject: [lace] Re: lace pillow storage
On Dec 9, 2004, at 13:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have been storing pillows in the square plastic bags that sheets
> sets come
> in. They have zipper closures However, the textile conservator that
> spoke
> at The Lace Museum last spring was not happy about this choice and
> felt that
> there would be off gassing from the plastic. Does anyone have a
> comment on
> this.
I have a comment on every message posted, just bite my fingertips
sometimes :)
While I know next to nothing about conservation (I try to remember
Jeri's tips but, even those tend to fly out of my brainbox in no time
flat), I'm happy enough with my pragmatic, no BS approach to life
(that's why I vote Democratic <g>), which makes things easy.
More than half of our cookie pillows (the likely candidates for storage
in either plastic wreath boxes or zippered sheet-set plastic bags) are
likely to be *plastic* filled, no? So, let one plastic fight another
plastic, since both of them are off-gassing; who cares, if one of them
(no telling which one) disintegrates 200 yrs from now? If anyone makes
lace then still, they'll have different solutions.
If you're worried about storing a pillow with the lace-in-progress on
it... Poke some (small) holes in the container, to allow for the
air-flow. Heating a sewing needle till red, over your stove works for
the puropse, without rendering the needle useless.
Anyway, you shouldn't be storing pillows with lace on them; *finish*
the dratted piece, or else cut it off, and keep it as a warning
(memento mori <g>), then hang in a new, more exciting one. Untill you
come back - next time - as a spider or an octopus, you can only work on
one pillow at a time.
I may check out the wreath boxes as a storage option, but only for
travel possibilities - keeping lace protected on the *trip back* from a
workshop. It's no longer possible to check in a pillow *onto a plane*
(not stowed in the bowels), even on the most friendly, Southern
flights, so, having an odd object easily scrutinized when consigned to
the "inner hell" might be a good idea. Not that I have high hopes for
getting what I might need - none of my cookies (3) is less than 24"
accross the wood base; I made them all to suit my needs :) But, for
certain-sure, even if I do find what I need, I won't *buy* anything
until the post-Christmas sale; if it ain't there then, at half-price,
then it wasn't "meant" I should have it :)
I'll never get over the fuss that's made over the lace we make (and,
now, over the *equipment* we use; give me a break?)... With the
exception of a few superb *designers* (Suchanek, Loehr, Woods come to
mind first, but my lace interests are limited in scope, so there must
be more), what most of us produce is "weekend fun", however much
personal sweat we expended over it. Does it *really* matter, if it all
disintegrates in the next 100yrs or so?
Me, I'm perfectly happy producing "do-dads which please" (me and,
hopefully, someone else who bothers to make them), and I don't mind
being a part of the compost pile on which the rare flower will grow.
Besides... Can you imagine the environmental impact of hundreds (if not
thousands) of perfectly-stored and well-preserved styrofoam pillowsa
100 yrs hence?
Enjoy the day, but don't lose touch with reality
---
Tamara P Duvall http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]