Elaine, I'd be concerned about using plastic of any kind to store pillow or lace - not just the off gassing, but also trapping moisture inside with the possibility of mold, mildew, etc.
I've managed to save the carton my pillows came in or stumbled on one that would work, so I can pretty much pack them all away safely - it sure helped when I moved back down here from Massachusetts! On the other hand, I'm painfully aware that the the cartons are not in any way archival and are going through nasty acidic changes so . . . I have a wonderful book given me by a devious friend ;-) Books, Boxes and Portfolios by Franz Zeier - I just checked, it's on Amazon. The friend wants some portfolios, but I immediately noticed his section on boxes - I love boxes. He gives directions for boxes with corners and ROUND ones. It didn't take me long to figure out that a custom built box for each pillow, made of archival board and paper and glue, would be a wonderful thing. And the potential for covering/decorating each differently . . . well, I was right round the bend with plans. Of course, that was 2 years ago and nary a pillow box have I made. But I have made a number of folded boxes from archival paper and covered them with some interesting Japanese papers I had around - a nice safe lovely container for lace threads! All of this is a long winded way of saying - you could make a box (believe me, a sturdy box is an engineering feat and he even has instructions for hinged lids and insert trays!) or you could find a local bookbinder who does work for a museum/library to archival standards and have one/some made to your specifications. Su [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > I have been storing pillows in the square plastic bags that sheets sets come > in. They have zipper closures However, the textile conservator that spoke > at The Lace Museum last spring was not happy about this choice and felt that > there would be off gassing from the plastic. Does anyone have a comment on > this. I have to admit that I hanen't removed the pillows from these bags yet > because I haven't seen anything better. The specialist archival catalogs that > we > have at the museum do not list anything that is really the right shape. > I had never seen the wreath boxes that are being discussed, but I doubt if > they are made of archival material either. > > Elaine Merritt > > The Lace Museum > 552 South Murphy Avenue > Sunnyvale, CA 94086 > > - > To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: > unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
