Dear Lacemakers,

It seems to me we discussed aficots a couple times in the past, reminding
that I could give you a reference book recommendation that would be helpful
with
such things.  I have a copy on each side of my library - with lace books and
with embroidery books.  The book I am referring to is the same but In two
different formats.

Authors:  S.F.A. Caulfeild & B.C. Saward

"The Dictionary of Needlework" published as a facsimile editon of the 2nd
edition of a book by the same name published in London in 1885.  My 528-page
hardback edition was published by Blaketon Hall Limited in 1989, ISBN
0-907854-10-9, original cost 35 pounds; I paid $28 for a used copy.  This is a
large,
thick book.

"Encyclopedia of Victorian Needlework (Dictionary of Needlework)" is a 1972
Dover reprint in two softcover volumes from Dover.  Vol. 1 covers A-L, 330
pages; Vol. 2 covers M-Z; continues to page 697.  ISBN 0-486-22800-2 and
0-486-22801-0.  These came in as a used set.

A vast number of entries focused on artistic, plain, and fancy needlework -
with many photos and drawings - it is  "Dedicated to Her Royal Highness The
Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne, this book is by her special permission,
Dedicated, In Acknowledgment of the Great Services which, by Means of Her
Cultivated Taste and Cordial Patronage, She has Rendered to the Arts of Plain
Sewing
and Embroidery."  Whew!

Do not confuse Princess Louise with Princess Christian, who - with Lady
Marian Alford - established the Royal School of Needlework in 1872.  It is
quite
obvious that the Royals were very dedicated to needlework (there are several
portraits of Queen Victoria showing her with needlework in her hands).

TESS:  I'll bring these to you so you can determine if they should be on the
Professor's site.  Then, the challenge will be to get a volume that is older
to scan!

This reference material is useful when reading a 19th C. (1800's) book or
magazine and you do not understand a word or term.  There are many lace
entries.
For lace collectors and those interested in older books, history, etc. - look
for this book in used book stores and similar venues.  Do not be put off
because "lace" is not in the title.  Take a look.  If it is not your cup of
tea,
your lace club might find it useful.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center