In a message dated 27/01/2005 00:30:40 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Jo, what Alice said is precisely what I meant: 2 colours, instead of 3.
> That is, green as usual for half stitch (with an extra cross-hatch for
> the honeycomb. Or "roseground" in Denmark). But a *single colour*
> (purple, red, I don't care which) *for both* the cloth (linen) and the
> whole (double) stitch. The only difference being an extra cross-hatch
> on the cloth stitch colour, to denote the whole stitch.

This is precisely what "Cook and Stott" did in their Bucks Point pattern
books, but for some reason they chose blue for the half stitch and red for
cloth/whole stitch.  There was a lot of grouching at the time (which was just
about
when English lacemakers were becoming aware of these fancy, coloured,
continental diagrams) because they'd used the colours for different stitches.

Now it's possible they felt there would be a clearer difference between red
and blue than green and blue which is what the "international colours" would
give, but I would have thought that a mauvish blue would give a good contrast
green.  All the other notations (gimps, twists etc) are in black; some heavy,
some fine.

Anyway, the diagrams are easy to work from and the twists are easy to follow.

Jacquie