My wife and I were shopping at thrift stores and we found this very peculiar lace fabric that we plan on using for a costume. On closer inspection I noticed it was bobbinlace(either hand done or by machine, but obvious threads with cloth stitch trails and twisted picots) and swiggling in a cornelly type of fashion being joined by the picots. A simple tape lace, but the trails are very sporatic with no rhyme or reason. Could be free style lace? Not sure of the origin or date. Appears by look of the thread condition and size to be possible market lace. It is cotton thread. There were four panels sewn together by a fine thread(that did not match the lace thread) which did not disturb the joining of the picots, so was easy to take off. Each panel I have located 3 starting points of the trails, but are not in equal distance around the panel. Very confusing yet intriguing to figure it out. The pretty edging went around the entire 4 panels added later(I assume). This we had to cut at the junction :-\ We disassembled one of the panels(since we plan on using them separately for a costume flounce) and I plan on diagramming the trails to find out more on how this snake-like trail starts and ends and would be a good practice for small amount of bobbins and LOTS of sewings. Quite a task!
Here is a link to on of the lace panels: www.tat-man.net/tatmanblog/lacepanel.jpg If you have any thoughts about this, I would like to hear it. In the meantime, I will be diagramming the trails just out of curiousity. Could be one of those "round tuit" projects for a table cloth or curtains if I have an empty bolster pillow ;) Mark, aka Tatman www.tat-man.net Greenville, IL USA - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
