Although I seldom disagree with Tamara, the relatively new "International
Square" bobbin is every bit as wonderful as her "custom made".  Truth be
told, they are a tad longer (no problem), have a double head, and no
fiddley turnings to get in the way.  I'm sure if these had been around when
T was looking for the perfect bobbin for her lace, this would have been her
choice.  And for the rest of us mortals, who don't have access to
custom-made, they're ideal!!  Naturally, I had already spent a small
fortune on another type bobbin by the time I discovered these (I think
they're a fairly new addition to the line-up).  And since then, I've moved
on to Binche, so it's a moot point now.  

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



> [Original Message]
> From: Tamara P. Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: lace Arachne <[email protected]>
> Date: 2/24/2005 11:04:53 PM
> Subject: [lace] Bobbins for sewings/Swiss stamp raffle reminder
>
> I'm beginning to pay attention to business as usual again; it's as if 
> *I* were recovering from a grave illness :)
>
> On Feb 24, 2005, at 16:47, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (Debbie) wrote:
>
> > it would be even better to have bobbins without turned
> > decorations;  just a smooth, smooth finish!
>
> No kidding... :)
>
> The smooth *head* is important in all laces, and we all know that - 
> however coarse it might be, you don't want the thread, passing from the 
> neck to the lace, to be rubbing against chips in the head. And, as the 
> thread gets finer, even the pores in the wood may become a problem, so 
> you want wood that's as dense as possible (if you can't afford ebony, 
> olive is fantastic <g>).
>
> But the smooth *tail* is also important to all laces - not just Honiton 
> - which require frequent sewings... Yes, I know that there are people 
> who make Milanese with Midlands and don't mind passing the spangle 
> through the hooked loop. Well, ...
>
> Obviously, the greatest "danger spot" in sewings is in passing your 
> tool (whatever it is you're using; I favour a fine crochet hook, but I 
> don't make either Honiton or Withof, for which no crochet hook is fine 
> enough) into and under a bar, hooking a thread - without splitting it 
> into its component plies - and pulling it up far enough to pass the 
> other bobbin through the resulting loop.
>
> But there are minor concerns which ought to be considered also. Even if 
> your bobbin's head is glass-smooth... Even if you grab your entire 
> thread on your first try, without spliting it...
>
> When you pull a loop up through a pinhole, there's friction - against 
> the thread on the sides of the pinhole - on the thread being pulled. To 
> pass a Midlands spangle in comfort, you need to pull a loop that's 
> about an inch long. That's about 2 inches of thread that's being 
> weakened in the process. Unless your thread is very coarse indeed 
> and/or unless you're not going to use the same pair for a sewing any 
> time soon, it'll take a long time to get rid of 2 inches of weaker 
> thread.
>
> To pass most Continental bobbins (the old Danish bobbins, with a big 
> and decorated bulb at the bottom are an exception), the loop needs to 
> be half as long *if* as much; to pass a Honiton bobbin, even smaller 
> (quarter of an inch?)... Even apart from the time considerations (which 
> do not apply to us, since we're amateurs and can afford to spend years 
> perfecting a single bookmark <g>), the wear and tear on the thread (not 
> to mention the nerves, when your thread breaks and you have to deal 
> with it) is much less, if you use an undecorated and unassuming 
> bobbin...
>
> I use double-headed, square-bodied, tapered-tailed bobbins exclusively 
> now, for all laces I make, not just the frequent-sewings ones; they're 
> not to heavy even for organzine or Pipers 2/20 but will accomodate a 
> decent amount of heavier threads as well. They require a 3/8" loop, ie 
> 3/4" of thread to pass through. But I had to design them myself (with a 
> bit of help of the maker, who designed a "precision head" to die for 
> <g>)... I look at the majority of square bobbins available on the 
> market and shudder - they're carved to within an inch of their life, 
> "for pretty". T o me, they look like some Victorian nightmare vision of 
> Middle Ages design, with lots and lots of traps for the unwary 
> thread... They may only be 3/8" at their widest point, like mine, but I 
> sure as sure would not risk putting them through a 3/8 high loop :)
>
> ///////////////////////////////////
>
> Re the embroidered Swiss "stamp" raffle: just to remind you that it's 
> open, and that I'll be collecting entries till Monday Feb 28, 
> announcing the winner (alas, one only) on Tues, March 1. So far, there 
> are only 27 entries; I think people were distracted from signing up, by 
> my panicky messages about Vlad.
>
> You can see the stamp at:
> http://www.t-n-lace.net/Swiss%20stamp.jpg
>
> Apparently, I *was* able to upload it - though not quite the way I'd 
> hoped to <g> - and DS found it for me in the puter's guts. I still 
> don't know where it's at (regarding the 'puter's guts), nor how to get 
> rid of it, but I'm Scarlett-ish about it (I'll think about it 
> tomorrow)... :)
>
> -- 
> Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
> Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to