> Boy am I a newbie!

Hello Jenny and welcome to Arachne! I hope you grow to love lacemaking as
much as I do!

There are many wonderful lacemakers on this list who know far more than I,
but I will answer some of the questions you asked, with my opinions. And
that is all they are, just my opinions. I'm a relatively new lacemaker
(about 4 or 5 years), so I will defer to others whose opinions may vary!

I started out learning from books, too, and that works perfectly well. At
some point, you will want to take some classes, so that you can learn
techniques that aren't necessarily clearly explained in books. For example,
I knew the mechanics of making a sewing, but didn't understand exactly how
to manipulate the crochet hook until I saw it demonstrated. Videos work well
for that, too.

I've answered only some of your questions, deleting the ones I don't know or
have opinions on.

> Should I get a round, roller or travel cushion?

I would recommend a "cookie" pillow, which is a round pillow--not a roller
pillow for starters, and not a travel pillow. My preferred material is
ethafoam (not styrofoam, which breaks down quickly). About an 18" diameter
is probably best for a first pillow, and not terribly expensive.

> Should I get more that one cushion?

One is enough for starters.

> Is there a do not buy list?

Yes, the "horror" kit from Lacis.

> Should I get a cushion stand?

Not necessary at first. Either put your pillow on a TV tray, which will be
approximately the right working height, or else sit on several cushions to
raise yourself up to normal table height.

You didn't ask, but while I'm thinking about it--many people start by
tilting their pillow so that the back is higher than the front. You can even
buy various items to prop it that way. My advice, is--don't! Learn to work
with your pillow flat on the table, and you'll be much happier.

> What sorts of bobbins are best for a beginner?

That's personal taste to a great degree. I started with East Midlands
bobbins. Those are the ones with spangles at the ends (little circle of
beads). The spangles give the bobbin a little weight to maintain tension on
the thread, plus they keep the bobbins from rolling. An added attraction
with East Midlands bobbins is that they are made in all kinds of beautiful
materials, and one can quickly develop the desire to start a
collection--ebony inlaid with mother of pearl, carved and painted bone,
spliced woods, etc. My very first introduction to bobbin lace was seeing a
friend's pillow with gorgeous bobbins, and I resolved at that moment to make
lace so that I'd have an excuse to collect bobbins (which I have done and am
still doing!). I still prefer them to Continentals, but for laces that have
a lot of sewings, East Midlands aren't terribly practical, and then I use
Continental bobbins.

Continentals come in a myriad of shapes and sizes, depending on the kind of
lace you're making and the weight of the thread. See the web site below for
pictures of various bobbins. I will defer to the experience of others who
have used many different kinds to suggest the best ones to start with.

> How many bobbins should I buy?

I'd say maybe 3 dozen, but I will defer to the wisdom of others.

> What is a beginners lace pattern?
> Should I jump in and start with a lace pattern I like the look of and learn
> the technique as I go? (that is how I usually learn a new craft)

You could do that, but I would recommend you start with a good book on
Torchon lace. Once you master the fundamentals of bobbin lace, you can
choose the kind of lace that most appeals to you and branch out. Some
possible choices are: The Bobbin Lace Manual by Geraldine Stott, The
Technique of Bobbin Lace by Pamela Nottingham, The Technique of Torchon Lace
by Pamela Nottingham, Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking by Rosemary
Shepherd, The Torchon Lace Workbook by Bridget Cook.

>         Divider pins (can I use sewing pins?)

Divider pins are long, long pins. Don't use sewing pins. These are mostly
optional. If you want to get a couple you can, but you won't need them at
first.
>         Pricking card

I bought a big package of blue card stock at my local office supply store.
Works fine.

>         thread - can I use crochet cotton?

Yes, you can, and many do. I usually treat myself to threads intended for
lacemaking. A good thread to start with is Brok 36/3.

>         cover cloth - what colour, fabric

Make your own. Solid navy blue, about 18" square, hemmed on all sides. Make
a couple while you're at it--one for under your bobbins and one to cover
your work.

>         bobbin holder - what is it?

There are two categories of bobbin holders. First is something into which to
place your bobbins after they're wound and before you put them on your
pillow. Usually a cloth with little pockets sewn into it. Some of the books
mentioned above have some suggestions for making these. You can also get
wood or plastic holders on which you can hang the wound bobbins.

The other category is holders to secure your bobbins to the pillow when
you're not working or when you're moving the pillow. Sub-categories: for
East Midlands bobbins--knitting stitch holders of various kinds that can be
sent through the spangles in order and then fastened. A long ribbon can be
used, too. Thread it through the spangles and secure it to the pillow every
so often with pins with those round glass heads. For Continental bobbins,
there are wood devices that have two parallel strips of wood, fastened at
one end. You simply run all the bobbin shafts between the two strips, in
order, and then pin them down to your pillow (you can use these with
spangled bobbins, too). Another choice is crocheted bobbin holders, which
are quick and easy to make. Each bobbin goes into its own little hole in the
strip and then the strip is pinned down to the pillow.

Other tools you didn't mention, but will need--

Pin pusher, pin puller, pricker, bobbin winder.

You will also need good lacemaking pins. If you're using a thread such as
Brok 36/3, then a good size pin is 26 x .65.

> Where can I get these products in Australia?

I'm sure others in Australis can help you with that. I rely on mail order a
great deal. I'll suggest Holly Van Sciver's web site as a possible source
for you. I know shipping costs will be high from the US to Australia, so you
may not want to order from her, but her web site shows lots and lots of
different bobbin styles, explains the differences between pins, offers many
types of threads, books, etc. <www.vansciverbobbinlace.com> It's fun to
look, even if you don't plan to order from her.

I am very excited for you as you start this wonderful journey. I know you'll
love it!

Barbara Joyce
Snoqualmie, WA
USA