Hi Weronika,
I see Tamara answered your question about plonk.  I was forgetting my English
heritage when I wrote that.  My roommates and I enjoy a glass of wine at the
end of working hard on our lace all day and we have been known to prop the door
open so that anyone else passing can come in and relax with us.  I think we are
fairly safe from being robbed or attacked by doing this as I am sure a room
full of lacemakers would make any attacker run for their life.

We did discuss the use of colleges in our region but came up with the same
conclusions that have been voiced, i.e. lack of staff, summer classes, air
conditioning, elevators, etc., and just the general logistics of all the extra
work for a guild of 13 members to do everything.  I was just so pleased to get
a contract for rooms at 2004 rates for four years later in 2008!!

Tamara, you would not get a discount of $25 for not getting the goody bag.  I
have just received an order for tote bags for my other lace guild and we will
be selling those for $5 to members, just making a small profit for our funds.
The program book has to be provided and we are hoping to beg for items from
local companies to fill the bag.  Many of the items that are received during
convention are made and donated to the attendees from other guilds at no cost
to the convention goers.  My guild are just getting ready to make our donation
items for Denver.

There was a questionnaire at the last convention and in the IOLI Bulletin to
find out what attendees would prefer and we are hoping to see the results of
that this summer so long as folks filled it in.  Personally, I like that break
in the middle of the week to get on with my lace without any pressure from my
teacher or trying to keep up with everyone else.  My group tend to arrive early
and do a self directed tour of the area if possible.  My friends this year are
flying in on Friday because that is when Hooters Airline fly from the local
airport to Denver.  I will arrive on Saturday as I am flying from O'Hare using
my airmiles that I have saved up over the years of flying. I am just waiting to
hear of their experiences as I understand the airline has attendees dressed as
skimpily as the waitresses in their restaurants.

Janice

Weronika Patena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:50:17PM -0800, Janice Blair wrote:
>Finding a hotel to have the convention in Chicago at all, let alone at a
>reaonsable nightly rate was impossible. None of them wanted to give up so many
>rooms for the use of workshops.

Don't schools/universities do that sort of thing in the US? That's how most of
my workshops (non-lace) worked in Poland.

> Weronika, you will not be alone on Wednesday if you miss out on the trips. I
> plan on working on my lace that day and probably hitting the sales room as
> well. We can walk to the Super Walmart to stock up on cheap food. Wonder if
> they sell cheap plonk as well.

What's plonk?

Weronika

--
Weronika Patena
Caltech, Pasadena, CA, USA

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA