Hello all,

I have found the recent discussion on attracting young people to lacemaking
interesting.  I have a  theory of my own.  It is the simplification
factor.  I have noticed a trend in North America towards simplification and
a desire for quickness.  It seems that magazines and books here are
catering to those who want to 'make it in an evening'.  Embroidery and
cross stitch patterns no longer are those which take a long time to make
and are more difficult.  Instead both the technique and the final product
are naive and simple.

I say 'North America' because I don't believe the trend crosses the ocean
either direction.  The UK still has magazines which publish designs that
require _work_ and Australia seems to leading the way with magazines such
as Inspirations which is a quality publication.  This isn't to say that
these books don't have 'quickie' designs, as well.  There is a place for
both.

Which brings me to lacemaking.  This is a skill which requires time - time
to learn and time to create.  Not to mention a financial outlay, which as
we know needn't be substantial, but can look it to the casual observer,
whereas knitting only needs the needles and some yarn and cross stitch
designers are using less different colours of floss in a single pattern
(more simplification) cutting down on expenditure.

Which frankly makes some sense, for if what you are making is throwaway
(baby bibs, a sweater which will be out of fashion in a period of time, or
a plastic canvas tissue box cover that looks like a cactus) why spend much
money on materials or time on learning technique.

Let me point out here that I am in no way demeaning those here who engage
in these activities.  There is a time and a place for the throwaway.  I am
referring, instead, to what I see as a trend that may explain why young
people are not coming in droves to be taught lace.

Just my thoughts on a subject which I have noticed for some time.

Heather
Abbotsford, BC
Newly single, unfortunately.