[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have to say - is that threads should *not* be too long, and the pillow
> should look *tidy* - ie, with all the threads about the same length.  Some of
> the class members are meticulous about this, others - and the lady concerned
> -
> just don't seem able to comprehend the need for it

But also, if her bobbins slip and lengthen all the time, this could be the
reason her leashes tend to be too long, whether or not she understands the
reasoning behind it.

Have you tried shortening them all to the appropriate length (in the process
checking that all her hitches actually are correct as I have known students
who *can* do the correct hitch, especially when I'm watching, but don't
necessarily achieve it 100%), and then working at her pillow for a reasonable
length
of time to see if you have any problem.

If you can thus rule out a systemic fault, it only leaves something in the
way the bobbins are handled.  As a correctly hitched bobbins should be stable
with a straight tensioning, my guess is that she is in some way angling the
bobbin to the thread and in this way unconsciously releasing a little thread
each
time she handles/tensions the bobbins.  Logically this might mean the workers
slip faster than passives.  And in the same way as it is possible to
deliberately release thread more easily from some bobbins than others, so some
might
react more sensitively than others to a slight mishandling.

Jacquie