What a fabulous exhibit!

Two full rooms of mostly exquisite lace, needle, Binche, chantilly and a
Russian(?) piece too.  It is certainly fulfilling for me to see lace
displayed on a par with the rest of the art at a major Art museum.  Really
lovely ways of displaying the pieces should be noted.  The bottom of a
priest's robe was mounted on a large rectangular "block" at eye level.
Three of four lappets on a slanting base with the backs exposed, several
pieces of costume (shawls (of course), a cap and at least two bodices and a
beautiful fan), an umbrella without his skeleton was lovingly displayed on a
slight cone shape, slightly tilted toward the eye to gain the best
advantage.  I think I remember someone saying there was over 50 pieces of
lace on display.

The presentation was magnificent, but even better was the signage.  Extreme
close-ups of ground stitches (where the thread was the size of clothesline
rope) and very well researched descriptions.  Little anecdotes and
interesting lace tidbits were placed in little pouches strategically place
about the room. (The bags were significant because the Cone sisters stored
their lace in bags like these, an example is included in the exhibit.)

The BMA (Baltimore Lace Museum) has done a fantastic job integrating lace
into the rest of the museum with two large contemporary installations by an
artist named Piper, who cuts these lace designs out of muslin with an exacto
knife.  They hang in a room near the Textile room and in the windows of a
hall near the gift shop, which just might be the main entrance.

There is also lace and lace related articles for sale in the Museum gift
shop.  Yes, you heard me correctly, lace (handmade antique, contemporary
bookmarks made by CRLG members and, I think I saw some machine there as
well....) and lace books and, well you get the picture.

I'd say this was a must-see for anyone who can possibly make it.  Really it
IS worth a trip to Baltimore.  I may go back again.

Photography of the lace is permitted with out special equipment and without
a flash.  The Piper installations are original art work and cannot be
photographed, but there is a book in the gift shop with some of the Piper
pieces in it.

I had a fabulous day and would like to congratulate the CRLG on an
astounding coup in the art world.  I understand this was the idea of Aurelia
Loveman, who deserves as many kudos as we can heap upon her.  Extremely
visible for me (as an outsider, I'm sure there were many other contributors)
as well was Cynthia Comeyne (Happy Anniversary, Cindy) and Mary Tod (who was
so integral as someone said, "Ask Mary, she'll know.  If she doesn't know,
no one will."  I'd like to personally thank Betty Ann Rice who generously
gave me her registration when her plans were changed.

Lace in Peace,
Laurie

Laurie J Hughes
Metro Boston, Massachusetts

Bobbin lace, social history, gardening
"When I grow up I want to be a housewife."