Linda Walton said:
>> still curious to know what the text says.  And are there any sites
showing pictures of larger pieces of this lace ?  Is it used to decorate
clothing, or headdresses, or something else ?

Hello Linda and other Arachneans,
I am going to help Carolina with the answer, because although I haven't been
able to download this file, I already had the Catalogue before knowing it
was downloadable.
The CATALOGUE is a recopilation of the lace made in the four provinces of
Galicia (situated on the NW part of Spain), where lace making has a great
tradition. Lacemaking has been a traditional job in this part of Spain in
the five last centuries. Tons of lace has been exported to America a long
time ago. As in other parts of the world, in the middle of the 20th century
this craft started its decline and almost got lost. But now it is again
gaining importance again.
Galicia has been a producer of long meter lace: there were no corners nor
insertions, just meters and meters... But in this catalogue also corners and
insertions have been created; so the resulting lace can be used for a doily,
a mat, a tablecloth or bed sheets, depending on the length. The patterns in
the catalogue are made by computer, although the old ones were obviously
drawn by hand.
The catalogue is only a selection, because in fact there are many more
patterns in Galicia, although most of them are different variations of these
ones.
The lace in Galicia is made with quite thick thread, ranging from number 50
to 20, even 10. And here these laces are used, and always have been used, as
edgings for sheets, tableclothes, doilies, handkerchiefs. Now they are also
making a lot of laces for fashion.

Quick TRANSLATION of the important things of the catalogue:
In page 9 you will find find the stitches that are used in Galician bobbin
lace.
Nome: name; "sen nome": without name. Many names I don't understand them
either, as the texts is written in galego, language spoken in Galicia (quite
similar to portuguese). But I can find out the translation if anyone is
interested.
Número de palillos: number of bobbins
Fío: thread. Algodón branco: white cotton
Puntos empreados: used stitches
Grao de dificultade: difficulty. Alto: high; baixo: low
Aumento de pares: pairs to be added
Consellos para o traballo: working suggestions

To see pictures of Galician lace, try typing Camariñas in Google.

Hope this solves your language problems. Many greetings
from Antje González, in Guadalajara, Spain
http://es.geocities.com/antjeglezherrero/