On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:04:28PM -0400, Tamara P Duvall wrote:
> I do not see anything wrong about having US (instead of International)
> in our name somewhere (though, perhaps, not in the first place; if The
> Lacemaker didn't have her website set up as "lacemakrusa", that would
> have been a strong contender for me). It's the country of *origin* that
> counts, IMO. The Germans have international members, but aren't shy
> about calling themselves "German". Ditto the Danes (lots of
> international members there, but it's still Knipling i Danmark), and
> the Finns, and Ozzies and I dare say others, where there is a national
> guild; country by country, they admit to where they come from.
Good point. If every lace organization decided to replace its
country-of-origin name with International, we'd have far too many international
lace organizations...
> I can't cook up the whole dish, but I know the ingredients... :) We
> need "Lace", to specify the subject. We need "making, studying,
> teaching, collecting" (not necessarily in that order), to specify what
> we're about. We need vowels, to make the acronym pleasingly un-Polish
> (either "organisation" or "association" would work. Also: "assemblage"
> and "alliance" and "union", according to my Roget <g>). And we need
> US(A) to specify where our tap root is.
Sounds about right... Maybe I'll try to play with the ingredients for a while
too, just to see if I can come up with anything that sounds reasonable.
ALCA (American Lacemaker and Collector Association)
ALO (American Lace Organization) - if we just said Lace instead of
Lacers/Lacemakers/Collectors/Enthusiasts, it'd be much simpler.
All these are pretty boring, I suppose...
Both LACI and ALGI sound nice to me, too.
ALMS does convey the exact right thing. It could also become ALMAS (if we
count the
"and"), ALS (if we use Lacemaking as one word), ALAS (if we do both), ALMSA
(American... Association), ALSA, etc.
An actual name contest would be great.
Weronika
--
Weronika Patena
Caltech, Pasadena, CA, USA
http://vole.stanford.edu/weronika
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]