At which museum is this being featured?  I saw some of them when I was at
Stanford U touring the Hoover Tower.
Lorri
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alice Howell<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: lace@arachne.com<mailto:lace@arachne.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:23 PM
  Subject: [lace] museum exhibit - flour sacks

  I just opened my paper and read about a display of flour sacks stitched for
  Presiden Hoover by people in Belgium years ago.  It's the 50th anniversary
  of the museum, and they are celebrating with this exhibit.  A few quotes
  and story summary from the full page article: follows.

  Framed, beautifully embroidered and painted cotton flour sacks are
  temporarily replacing the usual art on the walls of ... the boyhood home of
  Herbert Hoover.

  Several hunderd of the sacks were given to Hoover by Belgians in gratitiude
  for his work in providing famine relief to their country during World War
I.

  The (relief) commission shipped nearly  700 million pounds of flour to
  Begium.  Over 14 million empty flour sacks were created by the famine
  relief.  (The commission) controlled where they went and what was done with
  them, for two reasons:  Fear that the good flour would be taken out and
  replaced with inferior flour, and since cotton wadding was used in
  munitions, they wanted to keep them out of the hand of the enemy.  They
  accountd for every single one of them.

  The sacks were distributed to professional schools, convents, artists and
  public sewing workrooms.  They were used for clothing and to make a wide
  variety of items......

  Women embroidered, stenciled or painted (several hundred) sacks, sometimes
  using threads from their own clothing, or sewing in swathes of Belgium
  lace. One of the sacks on display is embellished with a delicate white lace
  swatch and white embroidery.

  ---------------------------------

  Now...I MUST go see this exhibit, on only for one month, and see just how
  many have lace on them, what kind, etc etc.  Anyone else who is in the
  Newberg, Oregon area during May might stop by.  They're open 1-4 Wed
  through Sunday.  Signs on the highway point to the turn.  It's a block off
  the main highway.  It's been several years since I stopped by, so now is
  the time.

  Happy lacing,
  Alice in Oregon -- whose Beds fan is 25 percent done.

  -
  To unsubscribe send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> containing the line:
  unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. For help,
write to