Dear Tamara -- In principle, of course I think that "any" fiber is "fair game" for lacemaking. And if somebody produced a chain-link fence in Chantilly or any other lace technique that dazzled my heart, I would indeed produce poems of praise. It's __this__ fence, and __this__technique that I thought were so pedestrian (specially after all the fuss that got made!).

You're a designer and an innovator yourself... You'd agree that *any* fiber is "fair game" for lace making, no?

Actually, I'm especially touchy on the subject of lace fences myself, at present, as I've been for a couple of weeks working on a gold lace fence for my green silk ferns to rest on...said fence and ferns are going on a set of ivory fansticks made for me some fifteen (!) years ago by that genius fanmaker John Brooker. He carved the sticks with fern motifs and set in abalone raindrops! As you can imagine, no amount of effort and ingenuity will be sufficient to match those sticks, but I am trying! Incidentally, my gold lace fence is not being done in Chantilly or anything like that, but it is a logarithmic grid done in Dieppe ground. As you can probably guess by now, I am madly in love with this thing.

So, if the *fiber* isn't at the root of your objection, *what is*?

It is pedestrian! Pedestrian! Uninspiring! Dull! Doesn't stir the heart!

Now, the question is: how do we convince WalMart to start producing and selling those lace-ornamented chain-link fence sections at a dollar a foot?

I can't say about Wal-Mart, but you might like to consider that CRLG-made lace bookmarks are selling in the Gift Shop for $30 apiece!

Aurelia