It looks like we're getting to him/her!!

The seller is now saying he/she is having doubts about it being a lace
bobbin, and has given two enquiries to that effect.  Hasn't published mine (or
Amanda's, I don't think) and has changed the story from 'selling it for someone
else' to 'bought it at an antiques fair'.

Could be a handle from a lot of things such as a stilletto, crochet hook,
button hook but if it came in a whole box of needlework bits and pieces then
the
remote similarity to a bobbin was enough to convince him that's what it is.

Jacquie