> When you started teaching
> - did you make more lace than before?

I made more lace before I started teaching.  Now, I spent more of that time
preparing patterns for others, writing instructions, writing books, proofing
patterns, researching techniques, teaching classes, preparing & traveling to
classes, etc.  Unfortunately, those laces that take lots of time and
concentration (my Binche work in particular) have gone completely ignored
for 2 years now.

> - did the quality of your work improve?

I think so; the hardest part is continuing your own education. Once you
start getting asked to teach places, (like IOLI) then you can't take
classes.  This part I miss. I still try to take classes because I learn so
much from each teacher--about lace, and about teaching.

> - did you try new kinds of lace to accommodate students?

Absolutely.

> - did you become more creative in your own designs?

Yes, this goes with the question above.  In order to accommodate the needs
of students, I find myself designing special patterns: a set of animals with
no sewings for youngsters; patterns that cram lots of technique into a small
lesson for classes, patterns & techniques for bad eyes, etc.   My Rosalibre
lace came in no small part from trying to find something that would suit the
needs and desires of my own students.

> What makes you continue teaching?

I like learning, and I learn something from every student I teach.  What I
love the most is helping someone do something that they believed they could
never do.  Once you've done that, the person looks at the world differently,
and sees opportunities instead of obstacles.  This is why it is so important
to teach young people to make things--it allows them to see the world as
something they can participate in forming.

Cathy Belleville
Los Altos, California, where it's FINALLY stopped raining and is now
glorious spring.

�

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to