Hi everyone interested in this subject.  I answered Kathy privately but have
been reading the other replies.  What I have been interested in is the
suggestion that you need to tie the workers against the first passive pair
either the
first time or even every time.

When I was taught Milanese by Pat the only time that she suggested it is
necessary to knot after this first pair is when you are hanging in new pairs
under
the workers before you make up the edge stitch.  These new threads are laid
in as the 2nd and 4th passive counting from the edge and it can be very helpful
to give this new pair some support so avoid spoiling the edge line as you
tension the work.

In contrast, the constant edge passives, be there 2, 3 or more (that I refer
to as the "magic number" when I am teaching), are normally held out against
the pin by the passives-that-used-to-be-workers; if anything when the "magic
number" is 3 or more pairs it is helpful to gently spread these pairs *away*
from
the edge as they tend to be held there in a tight bunch by the aforementioned
p-t-u-t-b-w.

In Pat's instructions for the scroll sample in her first book it appears she
is suggesting that you tie after the first pair as you start the scroll, but
in fact this tie is to support the last of the new hung in pairs.  There is no
mention of any further knots.   I have also checked in the series on Milanese
that Pat did for the Lace Guild (Lace 105 - 108) and again there is no mention
of tying the workers when doing a scroll or scroll turn.

The other thing I would like to comment on is Christine's:
"Once you have worked down the braid as far as the pivot pin, work the pivot
pin as a blind stitch (= do NOT work edge stitch, just pin the workers) and
the work to the outside edge, work the edge stitch and work back through all of
the passives. LEAVE THE WORKER -it's not going to be a worker any more. ".

This is correct when the braid leaving the scroll has its own, new pinholes
(as in the scroll sample).  However, in the example such as Kathy was asking
about where it was a scroll turn followed by sewings, it is better to make this
stitch up as a normal edge stitch.  Once you have finished the scroll turn and
are about to work the row right across to the pivot pin, take the twists off
this inside edge pair and cloth stitch through it as an extra passive.

Now, lay the worker sideways next to the pivot pin and tie what was the edge
pair to hold the worker close against the pin.  This saves you doing a sewing
in this awkward hole.  Leave the worker for now, and use the pair you just
knotted as the new worker for the next row.  When you get back to the inside
edge
again, the worker you left is included as the inside edge passive.

Jacquie, just off for a second day of lace demonstrating.