While I was away this weekend I bought from a junk stall a delightful pink 
satin "corset".  I don't know a lot about underwear and wonder if there is 
anyone that could give me some ideas about date.

It is waist length (10" from the highest arch of the bust shape), the front 
boned top to bottom.  There is a 2" wide elasticated panel in the centre back 
and two small elastic gussets at the lower back edge.  It does up down the 
centre front with silver colour hooks and eyes.  The elastic panel edges are 
turned over top and bottom with a 1/4" hem and is finished with a form of 
multiple 
thread machine stitch.  The rest of the stitching is straight stitch.  There 
is no evidence of there ever having been a label inside the garment.

The lace content is over the front over the bust where the top curve shape 
(between 2" and 3" deep) is a double layer of hexagonal machine net with three 
twists on the main zig-zag horizontal line and one twist on the vertical 
connecting bars.  The outer layer of net is decorated with a coached design.  I 
believe that this is hand done as the coaching stitches appear to be a single 
thread, are not related to the net, are long on the back (as far as I can see 
through the other layer) and each repeat is subtly different in shape and size.

It is in a box (which may, of course, not belong to it) with a large picture 
of a double ended axe with and the words "The Double Axe Brand Corsetry" and 
Trademark written along and under the picture.  Beneath is the description "The 
Corsets that have Stood the Test of Time"  On the end of the box it repeats 
the trademark picture with its wording, then "Double Axe Company" again in big 
letters (in case you missed it).  The quality is marked as SB2, colour 
Tea-Rose and size 7.

All in all, it is delightful but I would like to know a little bit more about 
it and the sort of clothes it would have been worn under.

Many thanks, Jacquie

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to