Jeri is cruel bringing this to our attention when I already have soooo much
lace I should be doing.  I also make Kumihimo braids and am interested in
comparing the two ways of making a braided/woven lace.  I've not started yet
(resisting hard as I'm about to go on a 2 day Withof course with Yvonne
Scheele) but
on reading through Lady Bindloss's  Braid Manuscript from pre 1660 I came
across the following frustrating entry:-

26. To make a braid of :40: bobbins  (I omit this set of instructions since
it is not a fingerloop braid. Plus, the handwriting was close to illegible,
sorry!)

Well, some of us would still be interested even if it's not a fingerloop
braid.  Some of the earlier ones there is a copy of the script, along with a
transcription and a translation.  This one just shows the braid, which is flat
with
a textured chevron design.  So, I wonder how it is made.  It is very unlike
the plaited lace of the time so I am guessing that she is using the general
definition of bobbin as a  thread carrier.  But how frustrating.

Jacquie in an overcast but still very hot Lincolnshire